[Nineteenth Century Pen Belonging to Cornelius Vanderbilt]
The wooden dip pen on the left belonged to Cornelius Vanderbilt and was given to the school by Frank after his death. Vanderbilt’s 1873 letter to McTyeire would have been written with such a pen. Dip pens replaced quill pens, but did not yet contain ink reservoirs, and were thus repeatedly dipped into an inkwell while writing. Frank’s donation of the pen highlights her continuing commitment to Vanderbilt University, the McTyeire family and the memory of her late husband.